Card-making to help build relationships and promote class cohesion in the early years. Choice of text frame and timing of delivery are flexible. The plan that follows is written as an induction/ ‘getting to know you’ activity in which children make and send a simple card to a classmate containing a positive message.
Learning objectives: by the end of the lesson
- All children will have met and introduced a classmate, and made a new friend.
- (Optional) All children will have shared information about their favourite things e.g. food/ sport / hobbies/ toys.
- All children will have practiced colouring, drawing, cutting, sticking and folding skills.
- All children will have matched/ copied/ traced or written their own name and the name of a friend.
- Some children will be able to recognize and read, when prompted, ‘I’, ‘like’ and ‘you’.
- Some children will be able to predict and recognize ‘Dear’ and ‘From’
- Some children will have traced/ copied/ written a simple message to their new friend.
- All children will have stamped and addressed an envelope for internal posting.
- All children will be able to distinguish between 1st and 2nd class stamps by colour and number.
- Most will understand difference in price (cheaper, more expensive) and link to speed of delivery.
- All children will be able to name Queen Elizabeth II.
- All children will have had an opportunity to express their feelings about giving and receiving.
- (Optional extension activity) Most children will be able to identify a 50p, 10p, 2p and 1p coin by number and shape; some will be able to add 50p +10p +2p to purchase a 1st class stamp costing 62p.
Lets’ be friends – Word document – Download | 650.9 KB
If your computer cannot read Word documents then please download the 3 PDF’s below
Lets’ be friends – PDF 1 - Download | 391.8 KB
Lets’ be friends - PDF 2 - Download | 33.8 KB
Lets’ be friends - PDF 3 - Download | 280.9 KB